This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by SebastianWilk-zenonvrPL 10 months ago.

• Author

vrvisions
    Participant
        @vrvisions

Wanting to know how people are able to use the Rift in arcades? If we are reading the commercial use EUL correctly it states it can be used commercialy but cannot be used in arcades.  Are we misunderstanding something here? We would love to be able to legally use both Vive and Oculus in the arcade.

Base Station VR
        Base Station VR
            @basestationvr

Can you link where it says that? I’m not familiar with the Rift and its commercial use, I use (and tend to prefer) the Vive, so I haven’t done much research on the Rift other than some Google searches for others with a similar question.

—–

Base Station VR Lounge
            Providence, RI

Base Station VR
            Base Station VR
                @basestationvr

So I found this:

Commercial Use License

Where it states:

“Use of Oculus Store content in Arcades requires a separate license from Oculus and separate commercial licenses from the respective content owners. However, you may use the Products in Arcades with content that is not offered on the Oculus Store if you create the content yourself or separately obtain commercial licenses from the content owners.”

—–

Base Station VR Lounge
                Providence, RI

vrvisions
                Participant
                    @vrvisions

Thanks for checking on this. I think they have changed it a little since we researched it last. Not sure what the special license from Oculus is. We did notice that in section 5 it states you can’t allow anyone under 13 to use it. Think we will stick with our Vives for now.

Base Station VR
                    Base Station VR
                        @basestationvr

No problem. And I agree, although, technically, I think Steam says no one under 13 should use VR. Always a hot debate on Facebook when it comes up.

—–

Base Station VR Lounge
                        Providence, RI

SebastianWilk-zenonvrPL
                        Participant
                            @sebastianwilk-zenonvrpl

“Use of Oculus Store content in Arcades requires a separate license from Oculus and separate commercial licenses from the respective content owners. However, you may use the Products in Arcades with content that is not offered on the Oculus Store if you create the content yourself or separately obtain commercial licenses from the content owners.”

So we can use Rift, but we need software from outside the OculusStore.   But… as far as I understand that:
                            “Unless separately approved in writing by Oculus, you will not, in connection with any commercial uses of the Products: (a) use content from the Oculus Store; or (b) develop your own app store or other app delivery platform intended to distribute content to consumers using the Products. ”

we can not  b) develop app store or platform,   but it is totally not mentioned anything about any other platforms like Steam even.
                            How to you get it ?

Thanks 🙂

Base Station VR
                            Base Station VR
                                @basestationvr

My thinking is why? Why do we need the Rift in arcades? It’s one of the headsets that shows up in stores, so people easily think “Oh, I can get this at Best Buy, why pay for it here?” even though we all know they’d still need a VR capable PC. Our stuff should not seem like “off the shelf” systems, it should be something exclusive and considered unique. At some point, we’ll be able to go wireless, use the Vive Pro, etc, all of which isn’t necessarily available to the general public or at least not be obvious,

—–

Base Station VR Lounge
                                Providence, RI

SebastianWilk-zenonvrPL
                                Participant
                                    @sebastianwilk-zenonvrpl

Becouse it is cheaper then vive- 900usd bussiness edition.
                                    Becouse in my opinion looks better.
                                    Becouse in my oppion controler are cooler nad more intuitive and powerfull.
                                    and becouse it does not need so much space – for example in shoping malls where each m2 counts.

But I see also your point of view.
                                    Although I live in Poland, where people are still not yet as rich like in USA or some western Europe countries; and it will probably take some time before many will have oculus at home.

LEt us make fight  VIVE vs Rift   😛 😉

Seriously – different products for different needs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.